Flu Season Preparedness: A Letter From Dr. Wylie
by Dr. Sarah Wylie, N.D.
October 21, 2009
Dear Friends and Family,
The purpose of this letter is to balance the information we are receiving from the media regarding swine flu and the vaccine. I also want to give you a plan for preventing the flu, or successfully fighting the flu, if you should get it.
As you probably know, I am very concerned with the quality of health of our children. 1 in 100 children has neurological damage, usually named autism. Autism, when I was a child in the 70s was considered rare, a condition that a general physician would probably never see in his lifetime of practice (1 in 10,000). Today, it is common. I believe these neurological disorders are a combination of digestive microbial imbalance, with added injury to the brain from vaccines. I believe that with the over-use of vaccinations and antibiotics, we have traded the hot infectious diseases for cold diseases like cancer, neurological and immune system disorders. Most of all, I believe in the goodness of nature, and I am wary of the Public Health authorities, drug companies and the media who are demonstrating limited view of how the immune system functions (immunology). Before you continue to read my letter, I want to be clear about my position on the topic of vaccination. I believe they are very powerful medicines, to be used judiciously based upon the health of the individual. Powerful medicines should be used carefully.
Most of my specific H1N1 information was gleaned from the website of Dr. Russell Blaylock, MD. He is new to my list of critically thinking experts. He is a board certified neurosurgeon and has recently retired to devote his time to nutritional studies and research. His knowledge is grounded in the "hard sciences" of Immunology and Neurology. He is sifting through the research published in the most respected medical journals to illuminate the mysteries of our new generation of neurologically damaged children. www.russellblaylockmd.com/
Swine Flu is Not that Bad
- In my words: Swine flu is not that intense when you get it, so most people are not going to the doctor to have the type of flu tested, or for treatment. The CDC only keeps diligent records of hospitalizations and deaths. Think of how many people you know who have had the flu in the past 7 months, who found the flu so mild they didn't seek medical attention. This means that there is a problem with the data, because total numbers of illness are not being tracked, and placed in contrast to hospitalizations. Remember this, when the Nightly News drums are beating.
- CDC: "The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) based on the 122 Cities Report was low and within the bounds of what is expected at this time of year."
- Dr. Blaylock, MD: "Only 43,771 cases have been reported in the United States. Because of poor reporting the CDC estimates that true numbers indicate that one million have been infected. Many people did not get sick enough to go to a doctor. Likewise, not all people are tested who go to a doctor."
- Dr. Blaylock, MD: "Since the CDC estimates that one million have been infected, [rather than approx. 45,000] we must recalculate death rates. Using this more accurate figure, the death rate is in truth 0.03%, which means 99.97% will not die from this flu. Your chances of dying are incredibly low." For reference, the death rate from the 1918 flu was 3-6%.
- Using the 50% infection rate from the CDC, the Media is projecting that 45,000 Americans will die from H1N1. But 7 months into the H1N1 flu, virologists have determined the infection rate is more like 6%. Another important thing to remember is that the number of elderly and children who died from H1N1 in the first few months of the disease will be disproportionately higher, because it is the immune compromised will fall ill to the disease first with any infectious disease. The CDC is using the data from the first few months to project their numbers. With the latest data, it is more likely that 5,436 Americans will die from H1N1, which is a normal number of people who die from the flu every year, in fact, it is lower than normal!
- Dr. Blaylock, MD: "A study by the CDC found that 32% of the children dying from H1N1 flu had asthma, when the incidence of asthma in the general population was 8 percent. Two thirds of the children who died had neurological disorders, such as seizures and cerebral palsy. So, the vast majority of children who are dying have one of a number of chronic health conditions, yet the media gives us the impression that perfectly healthy children are dying."
- The people who are dying have other immune compromising conditions: diabetes, direct immune dysfunction, dietary deficiencies of critical immune-supporting nutrients, chronic pulmonary disease, heart disease or a cancer.
- Between April 15 and June 15 of 2009, 34 pregnant women were diagnosed with swine flu, and 6 have died due to pneumonia as a complication of the flu. If you are hearing that pregnant women have the highest risk of dying from H1N1 flu, remember that in the first half of the course of this illness, only 6 American women have died. I cannot find more data on the numbers of pregnant women dying from June to the present.
The Seasonal Flu Vaccines are Not that Effective
We don't know yet about the HINI vaccine…
- Dr. Blaylock, MD: "In a review of 48 reports including more than 66,000 adults, "Vaccination of healthy adults only reduced risk of influenza by 6% and reduced the number of missed work days by less than one day (0.16) days. It did not change the number of people needing to go to hospital or take time off work." Reference: "Vaccines for preventing influenza in healthy adults." The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 1(2006).
- The 2009 H1N1 flu and seasonal flu vaccines will be made without an adjuvant, a key ingredient. This may reduce the efficacy of the vaccine.
The HINI Flu Vaccine Has Risks that are not properly explained in mainstream media
- The Nasal Spray H1N1 vaccine has been made with live virus, without thimerosal.
- Most of the H1N1 vaccines are made with thimerosal (mercury preservative) while only some are not. The ones without thimerosal are reserved for children, which is good for children. Even pregnant women will not be offered the thimerosal-free vaccine.
- The H1N1 vaccine has been tested without the proposed adjuvant Squalene. Independent studies of Squalene show that it causes MS-like symptoms, and autoimmune disorders like Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis in lab rats 100% of the time. There are 3 studies that promote the safety of Squalene. One was funded by the manufacturer of Squalene (Chiron), one was funded by the drug company who is making our H1N1 vaccine (Novartis), and the last one was funded by the Dept of Defense. I have been diligently reading the product inserts (aka ingredient list) of the 4 flu vaccines available, and it seems that this flu vaccine will be created without an adjuvant at all, which is strange for an attenuated virus vaccine. (nb. When the virus is "killed" or "attenuated" by formaldehyde in the lab, an "adjuvant" needs to be added in order for the individual's immune system to take note of the vaccine injected). I am not sure why this vaccine is made without an adjuvant, and not sure of the efficacy of the vaccine.
- Dr. Fauci, the director of the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, admits that most of the safety testing is being done in secrecy by the Vaccine Manufacturer. (See Nature Vol 460/30 July 2009, p 562 for the interview.)
Vaccine Companies are Completely Exempt from Compensating You if You are Injured by the Vaccine per the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act.
So the vaccine being administered is not the one being tested, there are only 5 clinical trials that are being "rushed", the other trials are done in secrecy by the manufacturer, and the manufacturers are protected from law suits by the National Childhood Vaccine Act and by the Defense Appropriations Bill HR 2863. Hmmm….
The H1N1 or seasonal Flu Vaccine is not the only way to protect yourself!
- The current belief that vaccines are the best and only way to protect yourself and your family from illness is wrong. Otherwise, How did people exist before vaccines?
Action Plan for Prevention
- Get your Vitamin D levels checked: Your level needs to be at least 60 ng/mL. This will be your greatest protection from Flu!
- Supplement with Vitamin D this winter.
- If your levels are >60 ng/mL: 1000 IU/Day
- If not:
- Babies > 6 months: 400 IU/day
- Pregnant Women and Children: 2000 IU/day
- Adults: 5000 IU/day once or twice a day
- Avoid Exhaustion and Extreme Exercise-these weaken the immune system
- For those of you who want the BEST of life: Go to the Body Ecology Website and order the liquid probiotics "Coco-biotic" or the wheat-free "Innergy".
- Vitamin C 1000-3000 mg per day. I like "Emergen-C' packets from the store.
- Elderberry Syrup – take as directed for prevention, unless you are pregnant. However, this herb is safe enough to use in pregnancy during a flu infection, for 1-2 weeks.
If you get the Flu, do the Following:
- Stock Up now because the onset of the Flu is usually inconvenient, and you are exposing many others to the virus when you are in public spaces.
- Pro-Vitamin A Carotenes – Scientific Botanicals "Beta-Plex" is my favorite product because it poses no potential for toxicity unlike other forms of Vitamin A. This product will be hard for you to acquire, so contact me if you want it. It will soon be available at my clinic medicinary, Kwan Yin Healing Arts. Vitamin A (instead of betacarotene) is also appropriate, but poses risks of toxicity so I do not feel comfortable advising this without an office visit to review your medical history and instruct you thoroughly in the use of such a powerful medicine. www.scientificbotanicals.net/betaplex.html
- For Prevention: take 2 drops (30,000IU) per day.
- During Infection: For the first 2 days:
- children under 6 months, 10,000 IU;
- children 6-12 months, 15,000 IU;
- children 12-24 months, 20,000 IU;
- children 2-3 years, 25,000-30,000 IU;
- children 5-7 years; 50,000 IU;
- children 7-10, 75,000 IU;
- children 11-14,100,000 IU;
- people 15 and older, 150,000 IU
- Homeopathic Oscillicoccinum
- Take as directed at the first sign of flu
- Homeopathic Gelsimium 30 c
- Once you have determined you have the flu, take 6 pellets every 2 hours – but do not wake yourself just to take them!
- SO start with Oscillococcinum, and follow with Gelsimium.
- Continue Vitamin D during infection
- Continue and Increase dose of Elderberry Syrup
- Zinc Lozenges from the Natural Market, take as directed.
Pregnant Women: All of these treatment guidelines are safe in Pregnancy
Just be Sure you have BETACAROTENE and NOT VITAMIN A. Vitamin A can cause birth defects in levels higher than 10,000 IU, usually blindness.
Regarding Elderberry syrup: Historically, this herb has been found to safe for a developing baby and not to cause premature labour. However, there simply isn't research to support the safety of this herb for daily use in pregnancy. Therefore, I recommend against using it daily for prevention in pregnancy for all women. I would probably suggest this botanical medicine for pregnant women who tend to get sick frequently. However, during FLU infection the benefits of the herb greatly outweigh the risk. So I do recommend this herb during a flu infection for pregnant women. It is safe for use during breastfeeding and for children, so stock up on it now and you'll have it for later.
Special Note: Given that there is SO much media attention on the need for vaccination in pregnancy, I want to tell you how much I am in support of your decision to postpone or avoid the flu vaccines. If you need to talk this over with me, I am available for phone consultation. (#1) Get your Vitamin D checked, because it is VITAL in fetal development of the immune system and a healthy brain in addition to being your best defense from flu infection.
Last but not least, a few words about when it is appropriate to go to the ER:
From the CDC website: What are the emergency warning signs?
- Fast breathing or trouble breathing
- Bluish skin color
- Not drinking enough fluids
- Not waking up or not interacting
- Being so irritable that the child does not want to be held
- Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough
- Fever with a rash
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
- Sudden dizziness
- Severe or persistent vomiting
People with the following conditions should be evaluated by a doctor if they get the flu:
- Blood disorders (including sickle cell disease)
- Chronic lung disease [including asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)]
- Heart disease
- Kidney disorders
- Liver disorders
- Neurological disorders (including nervous system, brain or spinal cord)
- Neuromuscular disorders (including muscular dystrophy and multiple sclerosis)
- Weakened immune systems (including people with AIDS)
- Pregnant women
- Children less than 5
- Adults over 65
In Summary, I feel there is a better time for activating all our public health resources to prevent a high death rate from pandemic. Perhaps this is a dress rehearsal. But now is not the time to be fearfully vaccinating. Even better, take stock of the strength of your immune system, see your Naturopathic or Chinese doctor for an assessment and plan to build your immunity.
Dr. Sarah e Wylie, ND.midwife.mama
CDC website: www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/update.htm
Russell Blaylock, MD: www.russellblaylockmd.com/